After years of helping people with their skin, we can safely say we’ve seen just about everything. From dry to oily, young to mature, our medical estheticians have worked with hundreds of people from all corners of Greater Vancouver to help them achieve healthy, glowing, and flawless complexions.
Throughout the years, we’ve learned a thing (or nine) about how to the body’s largest organ. And lucky for you, we’re giving you the inside scoop by sharing our top 9 skincare lessons that will help your skin from the inside, out.
1. Cleanse. We’ve all had those mornings where we’ve woken up with raccoon eyes from last night’s mascara and our foundation strewn across the pillow (yuck!). We know life gets busy, but if there’s one thing you absolutely must do, it’s cleanse before you hit the sack. Here are a few of our faves:
2. Sunscreen. Don’t let Raincouver fool you; those grey clouds aren’t enough to fight off the sun’s harmful rays, causing premature aging and upping your chance of developing skin cancer. Applying sunscreen should be part of your all-day routine, no matter what time of year it is.
And not all sunscreens are created equal; as we’ve mentioned, you need to opt for Physical sunscreen, which protects your skin from the sun by deflecting or blocking the sun’s rays. It uses non-toxic, mineral-based ingredients like titanium dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral) and zinc to block the sun’s entire spectrum of UVA and UVB rays. This differs from the typical chemical forms you find at the drugstore, and are made up of more than 12 different chemicals, many of which have not been FDA approved. These are then absorbed into the skin and can interfere with the normal function of hormones like estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, and thyroid.Our go-to physical sunscreen is anything in the Sunforgettable Collection by Colorescience. Pack in your purse and reapply any time of day for easy-peasy application.
3. Ditch the Drugstore. Here’s why: they’re filled with chemicals that will only harm your skin. Better to make life simple and go for the natural, holistic, and scientifically proven good stuff: Colorescience and R3Derma.
4. Moisturize. Yes, that includes people with oily skin. No matter what skin type you have, moisturizer should always be in your arsenal. Here are our faves.
5. Wash Up. And not just your face. We’re talking about your brushes, pillowcases, and face cloths; anything that touches your face on the reg, as these materials can easily absorb and pass on bacteria that can clog pores. (Pssst…this brush cleaner is ah-mazing).
6. Don’t Pick! Whether it’s pimples, whiteheads, or blackheads, keep your hands off and away from your face, as you’ll likely only do more damage. Suffering from scars? Our Foto-Facials will do wonders to remove discoloration.
7. Easy on the Exfoliation. Rule of thumb: you should be exfoliating gently and no more than twice a week. Your skin is sensitive, and while exfoliation is vital for removing dead skin cells and other pollutants, there’s no need to sand it down completely. These exfoliators and masks from Osmosis and Pro-Derm are gentle yet incredibly effective.
8. Ban the Tan. Baking in ultraviolet rays, whether it’s the tanning bed or on the beach, needs to stop immediately. Premature aging, wrinkles, fine-lines, pigmentation, cancer – you name it; it’s all caused by tanning.
9. Bar the Bar. Using a bar of drugstore soap to cleanse is one of the worst things you can do, as it strips our skin of natural oils and causes a PH imbalance, resulting in dry, oily or acneic skin. Do yourself a favour and try R3Derma Cleansers that deeply clean the skin and thoroughly remove dirt, make-up, and environmental toxins.
Now that you have our skincare secrets, feel free to contact us if you have any questions about our tips, recommendations, and products. We’re happy to help!